PRAYERS FOR AND CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR YOUTH LEADERS KATIE AND ANDREW NISBET WHO WELCOMED THEIR FIRST CHILD JACK, BORN TUES. 8/16/22!!! Sessions are offered weekly to be completed at home, with a monthly gathering at the parish center. Sunday Mass attendance is mandatory (sign-in book at main entrances) along with 1/2 page responses to questions about the weekly Gospel and Father’s homily on our website https://goodshepherdmv.com/student-sunday-mass-questions/, especially in light of the USCCB Eucharistic Revival begun in June, 2022. If families are off island, the student is expected to bring a bulletin signed by the priest at off-island Church with same 1/2 page responses. Students (ideally with his/her family) will be expected to come to the Sacrament of Confession at a minimum during Advent/Lent, Stations of the Cross at least once, spend time in Eucharistic Adoration and give some time in service to the parish and/or community. Video links and workbooks were provided at first in-person session, Tues. 10/18/2022 3:30-5:00 pm.
Decision Point 7th/8th Grade Schedule 2022-23 In-Person: 3:30-5:00 pm Parish Center
Tuesday Date: Weekly Lessons
11. January 3, 2023 Season 6: Episodes 1-Bear Bait, 2-What is the Purpose? 3-Chose your Friends Wisely
12. January 10, 2023 Season 6: Episodes 4-What is Love? 5-Your Quest for Love, 6-Decision Point
13. January 17, 2023 Season 7: Episodes 1-The Epidemic, 2-The One Thing, 3-The True Presence
14. January 24, 2023 Season 7: Episodes 4-The Power of the Eucharist, 5-Get Close, Stay Close, 6-Decision Point
15. January 31, 2023 Season 8: Episodes 1-The Next Right Thing, 2-Who is Holy Spirit? 3-Unopened Gifts
16. February 7, 2023 Season 8: Episodes 4-Fruits of the Holy Spirit, 5-Prompted 6-Decision Point
17. February 14, 2023 Season 9: Episodes 1-Countercultural 2-First Christians & Early Church, 3-One, Holy, Catholic & Apostolic
18. February 21, 2023 Season 9: Episodes 4-The Good, Bad, Ugly, Lies; 5-10 Great Reasons to be Catholic; 6-Decision Point (Includes annual Safe Environment Lesson)
February 28, 2023 Winter Break — no lessons
19. March 7, 2023 Season 10: Episodes 1-If You get the Man Right … 2-What is Confirmation? 3-Power of Preparation
20. **March 14, 2023 Season 10: Episodes 4-How will Confirmation … 5-On the Day, 6-Decision Point **schedule change
21. **March 21, 2023 Season 11: Episodes 1-Everything is Connected, 2-World is a Mess, 3-A World without Neighbors **schedule change
22. March 28, 2023 Season 11: Episodes 4-Finding your Mission, 5-Your Untapped Greatness, 6-Decision Point
23. April 4, 2023 Season 12: Episodes 1-Perseverance, 2-The Holy Moment, 3-Everything is an Opportunity
April 11, 2023 Easter Week – no lessons
April 18, 2023 Spring Break – no lessons
24. April 25, 2023 Season 12: Episodes 4-Your YES Can Change the World, 5-Review, 6-Dream!
+ + + + + + +
Confirmation is currently celebrated in ninth grade. The diocesan requirement is 2 years of preparation prior to receiving the Sacrament, which is typically in the spring of freshman year; otherwise Confirmation will be delayed until obligations are met.
2022-23 Registration fees: $100/child or $200/family maximum.
Final Registration ended–see under Faith Formation Tab: nothing to print, just fill out and submit! Or stop by during regular office hours M-W & F 9:30 am – 4:00 pm. Completed forms and payment are expected before sessions begin. New also this year, payment can be made under our online giving platform, by check (made out to: Good Shepherd Parish) or with cash. A new medical information/student release form has to be filled out each year, and please bring a copy of the child’s sacrament certificates: if he/she wasn’t baptized here on Martha’s Vineyard, and/or First Communion, if celebrated off island.
Contact the parish office 508-693-0342 for more information; or email Katie: firstname.lastname@example.org
Katie and Andrew Nisbet, formation leaders
+ + + + + + +
Dynamic Catholic was founded on the idea of “meeting people where they are and leading them to where God is calling them to be.” Once Catholics are engaged in their spiritual journey, there is an abundance of materials that can feed them and draw them deeper into relationship with God and the Church. But there is a great shortage of materials that engage disengaged Catholics.
Most young Catholics are disengaged. Engaging them is therefore the first step. Until they are engaged it doesn’t matter how much information you download on them; they simply will not absorb it and make it their own. There are many programs that faithfully present the teachings of the Church. But that alone is not enough. While presenting the Church’s teachings faithfully is essential, it is also critically important that they be presented in ways that are engaging, accessible, and relevant.
DECISION POINT had taken more than four years to develop. The truth is, in many ways it is very different from what we originally envisioned. When we first set out we thought that the entire program would be online. But over and over again, you asked for physical workbooks, leader guides, and DVDs—so we adapted. Hundreds of people have spoken into this project, and it is better because of that. One testimony given by a priest in our Fall River diocese: “I’ve been searching, waiting, and frankly praying for years for religious formation materials that will adequately address these two issues: curricula that will engage the students directly, and then provide first-rate interactive resources for teachers in the classroom and parents at home to help the students to learn and live the lessons. As an inner-city pastor, I have also hoped that I wouldn’t have to institute a grand annual collection in order to pay for these materials. It seems the long Advent—and for some students and teachers, the long Lent!—is over with the release of DECISION POINT, the new Confirmation program developed by Matthew Kelly and his team at Dynamic Catholic.” – Fr. Roger J. Landry, as pastor of St. Bernadette Parish in Fall River, Massachusetts, and former executive editor of ‘The Anchor’